You’ve heard it said before. The writing life is not for the fainthearted.
In addition to the actual writing, marketing, and everything our craft entails, there’s an added dimension. Because our work is solitary in nature, sometimes, loneliness nips at our heels. Toss in a few life events and trials, and we have the perfect recipe for conflict—an element integral to great fiction.
The reality is it’s real life. Our lives. And sometimes, it’s difficult for us to talk about what we’re going through. Transparency is tough. Uncomfortable.
The good thing?
When we experience heartache, we view others’ hardships through a fresh lens. We’re inclined to nitpick less, listen better, and love more. We’re considerate of the process and we’re moved to pay it forward.
Here are 20 ways writers spread joy:
1. Joy-minded writers write something worthy. They take the high road. They uplift. Motivate. Inspire. Love.
2. They comment, retweet, and share. They are intentional. They multiply fabulous thoughts!
3. They mentor others in their journey. Fifteen minutes, one day, a week, a month, or longer.
4. They lend an ear. And keep a confidence.
5. Joy-minded writers encourage. They offer a kind word. A smile. A hug.
6. They pay it forward. When someone extends a kindness their way, joyful writers keep the ball rolling!
7. They are authentic. They say the very thing you wish someone would have said to you. And they mean it.
8. They deliver a pep-talk. They accentuate the positive. They reboot a day gone south.
9. They share knowledge. Joyful writers aren’t selfish. If they know something that will help, they happily bear glad tidings!
10. Joy-minded writers toot others’ horns. They shine the spotlight on friends’ accomplishments and lavish praise accordingly.
11. They show appreciation. They send encouraging e-mails, cards, and well-wishes. Sometimes, they even mail goodie packages!
12. They solve a problem. They help without being asked. They “fix things” that are within their power to fix.
13. They compliment (and complement.) They find something good to say. They bring out the best without hidden agendas.
14. Joy-minded writers brainstorm. They weed through the “noise” to help with solutions.
15. They pray. They bear others up when the going gets tough.
16. They follow through on promises. Their word is their bond. If they commit, they finish the task with a joyful mindset.
17. They challenge. (In a good way.) They inspire others to rise to new heights.
18. They hook up. They link back to favorite websites and highlight folks in their sidebars.
19. They generate excitement. They host guest bloggers, offer book reviews, giveaways, and influence free gratis.
20. Joy-motivated writers stay the course. They persevere when, sometimes, they’d rather not, and they encourage others to do the same.
Today’s post is dedicated to those writers who spread the love—day in, day out, and expect nothing in return. I appreciate you and I know the folks you bless do, too!
Original Image Credit: Engin_Akyurt/Pixabay
How will you spread joy this week?
How has someone shared joy with you?
What’s one thing that encourages you the most in your writing journey?
Cynthia writes Heartfelt, Homespun Fiction from the beautiful Ozark Mountains. A hopeless romantic at heart, she enjoys penning stories about ordinary people facing extraordinary circumstances.
“Cindy” has a degree in psychology and a background in social work. She is a member of ACFW, ACFW MozArks, and RWA.
Besides writing, Cindy enjoys spending time with family and friends. She has a fondness for gingerbread men, miniature teapots, and all things apple. She also adores a great cup of coffee and she never met a sticky note she didn’t like.
Cindy loves to connect with friends at: http://www.authorcynthiaherron.com/
She also hangs out here:
For love, fun, and encouragement ~
Sign up for Cindy’s monthly e-NEWSLETTERS